D4R product lifecycle
We adopted five Design For Re-use waste prevention strategies when developing our D4R laptops:
- Design for minimised production waste
- Design for lifetime extension/reuse
- Design for repair and upgradability/Design for refurbishment and
- Design for disassembly (DfD) and
- Design for collection
And we set ourselves these goals:
- achieve a decrease of at least 30% in greenhouse gas emissions compared to normal laptop production
- achieve at least 70% of overall re-use and recycling of waste while producing the laptop
- achieve a reduction of at least 75% of fresh water utilisation compared to normal laptop production.
Decrease in Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions
We have achieved a significant decrease through lifetime extension, for example prolongation of system lifespan from 4 to 6 years translates to a 50% reduction of “produced” laptops and thus emissions related to production.
Re-use and Recycling
Through the ZeroWIN initiative iameco computers are integrated into a new supply network with recycling companies across Europe. We have designed a universal shell composed of a universal motherboard and a 6 cell lithium battery encapsulated in a wooden housing. The shell is capable of accepting new primary system components and other diverse parts (including parts and components of different specifications). We source recycled wood components for the casing, recycled paper and cardboard for packaging and reusable electronic components such as motherboards, cables, RAM modules and power supplies. These parts are sourced through the Berlin ReUse Network, Emaus/Eguarlandua (Basque) and Rehab (Ireland).
A reduction of at least 75% of fresh water utilisation will again be achieved by lifetime extension strategies.
Talk to us now
Talk to iameco today. Contact us at email@example.com or call us at +353 1 4930514 (Dublin).